Monday 8 August 2022

Them Bones.. painted Undead army

In the last Blog post, my newly painted undead forces took to the field. 

I thought I'd have a go at taking some slightly better pictures and a note on how I painted the Oathmark skeletons which make up the bulk of this host..

The 'heroes' are a mix of Reaper Bones and a mounted D&D figure, and the giant Wurms are 3D prints, figure sourced on Thingiverse.







The Oathmark skeletons are really nice figures, and I was quite keen to get the 'ancient bronze' look right. I ended up using a bit of a mix of ideas from various blogs and videos and really like the result.




They were primed with Army Painter 'Skeleton Bone' , then given a wash of the GW contrast 'Skeleton Horde'.. Some of the skeletons also had an additional dark wash and drybrush with Iraqi Sand. The spear shafts were done with Vallejo German Camo green with a light deck tan drybrush, and the bows Vallejo Deck Tan. The few straps and rags of clothing were all Vallejo 'English Uniform'. 

The crucial antique bronze effect was a done by applying GW Warploque bronze, a wash of GW 'Mechanical Nihalac Oxide' and some green ink splotches. The whole lot was washed in AP Strong Tone, along with the leather and cloth bits.

The background in these pictures is a poor print of a really nice free picture from Jon Hodgson

Everything is based up on rounds, the skeletons are all on pennies, which allow me to use them to play Dragon Rampant, Midgard, or any other game really (except perhaps Oathmark!) and although I'm telling myself that the army is 'done' at 24 archers and 50 warriors.. I suspect their numbers will swell!

Some of the army 'at play' recently


No comments:

Post a Comment