Better late than never.. I actually picked up a box of the Perry 8th Army figures at Partizan back in June when I was helping Scrivs with his spiffing Bolt Action demo game..
I got them assembled and sprayed with Army Painter 'Desert Yellow' ages ago and then got sidetracked painting Soviets and Germans.
Initially I thought I'd get these painted and based before the Perry Afrika Corps came out. doh!
Yesterday morning I thought I ought to make a proper start.
I have James Morris' article from WS&S magazine on painting these figures and I've been lucky enough to play with both his and Scrivs painted figures. I don't think it's wise for me to try to copy their styles at all, but I have made an effort to organise myself to paint these so that they will at least be 'compatible' should they ever share a table
My plan is..
Desert Yellow basecoat.
Mix of Vallejo Iraq Sand, Khaki and Coat d'arms Roan for uniforms
Black for boots, rifles and bayonets
Coat d'arms Wood brown for the skin areas
I'm following James suggestion and leaving the webbing etc in the base coat.
Once I have these basic colours blocked in, the next step will be to use the Army Painter Strong tone.
I'm going to experiment here and try using the ink rather than the dip. (Might try a couple and see how it goes first)
After that it will be a case of highlights, picking out the wood on the rifles, the flesh colours and a few details like rifle straps.
Bases will be essentially a Yellow Ochre, with sand and some tufts etc
Finally a light drybrush with Iraqi Sand.
As I say, that's the plan! We'll see how it turns out.